UK Visas and Immigration manages the UK visa requirements and the necessary immigration rules. All foreign nationals have to have a visa to study in the UK, except for Swiss nationals and those from the EU/EEA. The result of the UK’s referendum on membership in the EU has led to some confusion over visa regulations and rules, but the UK government has stated there will be no change to the rights and status of EU citizens until 2021.

A student over the age of 18 years and wants to pursue a short course, then he/she may be eligible for the short-term study visa. The short-term visa is valid for about 6 months for almost all short courses and can be extended for a stay of up to 11 months for English language courses.

A student who wishes to pursue a long-term course, the student needs to make sure that the chosen institute holds a tier-4 sponsor License. The student can apply for either of the two visas a Tier 4(child) student visa (if you’re aged 4-17 and want to study at an independent school in the UK) or a Tier 4(general) student visa for those aged 16 and over.

In some cases, the student’s course provider may help out the student to apply for a UK student visa, when the student has already been offered a place in the desired course; a student must make sure of this beforehand. The most appropriate time to start applying for the visa is three months in advance of the start of the day of the course. It’s a good idea to check up on the processing time for India, but we at GKWorks take care of all these details so that the student need not be worried.

UK student visas are awarded on a points-based system. In order to meet all the UK student visa requirements, the student will need to provide:

  • Details of the student’s passport
  • A recent photograph
  • An unconditional offer of a place on a course offered by a licensed Tier 4 Sponsor, evidenced by a ‘Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies’ (CAS) form from the student’s course provider (worth 30 points)
  • Proof of adequate English language skills, demonstrated by passing one of the secure English language tests (SELT). The student will not need to provide this if he/she is from an English-speaking country such as the United States or have completed a qualification equivalent to a UK degree in an English-speaking country.
  • Proof the student has financial support throughout their stay in the UK (worth 10 points)
  • If the student is a non-EU/EEA/Swiss student studying a sensitive subject, he/she may also need an ATAS certificate

Following might help you as well.