MBBS in Mauritius
Mauritius is well-known for its extravagant beaches, fascinating coral reefs, and lagoons. It is not only a familiar tourist target for Indians but also a peaceful holiday destination for Indian students who fancy going to university. For several purposes, Mauritius MBBS is very widespread among Indians, but at the same time, the fee composition of the only two MBBS universities in Mauritius intimidates some students. Yes, only two universities have restricted study areas. So if you want to study on a gorgeous island encompassed by water and aquatic life, you require to stand up again as soon as probable.
In the following article, we are going to learn in-depth about the study of medicine in Mauritius.
MBBS in Mauritius Overview
|Duration||5+1 year internship in India after clearing FMGE|
|Medium of instruction||English|
|Weather conditions||Experiences only 2 seasons.
Nov-April =Summer (24.7 C)
June-Sept= dry winter (20.4)
|MCI approved colleges||Yes|
|No. of MCI approved colleges||2 colleges with limited seats|
|Who approved colleges||Both MCI approved colleges are approved by WHO|
|Dominant religion||Hinduism – 48.54%, Christianity – 32.71% (with Catholicism as the largest Christian denomination at 26.26 %), Islam – 17.30%|
|Is Mauritius MBBS Degree Name valid in India?||Yes it is a valid name|
|Do I need to qualify NEET to study MBBS in Mauritius?||Yes|
|FMGE result||Ver high|
MBBS in Mauritius Duration
Time required to complete MBBS is 5-years. 1-year internship is also required. But before starting internship it is mandatory for students to return to India and qualify a test which will allow them to practice as a doctor in India.
MBBS in Mauritius Eligibility for Indian Students
There are some criteria for granting admission to Indian students. Following is an eligibility criterion.
|Entrance Exam from India||None required|
|NEET qualification||Students must be NEET-UG qualified. NEET result is valid for a period of 3 years for MBBS abroad.|
|Qualifying Marks from Class 12th||Total 60% marks|
|Required Subjects in Class 12th||PCB and English|
|Entrance test in Mauritius||Students are selected on the basis of 12th marks. SSR medical college conducts an interview.|
In this article we are going to learn about the admission process in 2 reputed colleges of Mauritius.
Anna Medical College
All the facilities related to the field and other necessary facilities are provided by this college. The main reason Indian students prefer to study in Mauritius is that the teaching staff in this country consists of Indian teachers also making students feel more comfortable. The college is also well-equipped with several books related to medicine. Also, the college is connected with the hospital in Flacq which serves around 170,000 inhabitants in the East Mauritius region. The college is affiliated with the University of Technology Mauritius and the course was established in the year 2012 and grants the degree of MBBS to students.
Scrutiny of Information
This process is performed to check the truth behind the information provided by the students. The college checks the background information of the students by checking the marks, documents provided by the students. The financial background of the candidates is also checked to see if the students can afford the fees or not.
After checking the truth of the information provided by the students the admission committee creates a list of students based on their merits. After the creation of the list shortlisted students are then notified regarding an interview for the admission process.
The interview is conducted in the English language and in an informal way. All the information concluded from the interview with some remarks from the interviewer the information is then sent to the dean who goes through all the information selects certain student.
The final approval for admission is given by the dean based on the information collected in an interview.
Applicants who are picked are then asked to produce a medical certificate indicating their sound health.
After the declaration of approved students, it is very essential to complete the admission process in time otherwise college can cancel the admission if the process is delayed. Students are divided into 2 batches namely April and September.
- The certification of class 12th with 60% aggregate in the four subjects with English
- NEET-UG certification
- Documents linked to the mortgages
- Medical Certificate
- Birth certificate of the registrant
- Identification of the registrant
- International learners asked for passports and visas.
SSR Medical College
Around 20 years ago, SSR Medical School was the first medical establishment in Mauritius. Its diplomatic neighborhood nearby to the airport makes it a perfect selection for international students, particularly Indian students. The campus stretches to the rich tea field with a beautiful landscape. all over. All international students must live in gender-specific residences on campus. Confusion is also guaranteed. The medical school must start a hospital for the clinical practice of students. And SSR students receive education at Jawaharlal Nehru in Victoria and other government-approved hospitals with more than 1,000 beds. The college is affiliated with the University of Mauritius Faculty of Science, Department of Medicine. The course was started in the year 2002.
Filling Application Form
It’s a form that is mandatory for every student to fill in offline mode. Indian students can submit the form in New Delhi which is a registered center. This form mainly constitutes college information.
It has been declared by the college that submission of form and payment of fees are jot enough to book a seat.
Selection of Candidates
Students are selected based on their merits and financial conditions. Selected Indian students have to pay the fees before the start of college by D.D. in name of “Indian Ocean Medical Institute Trust”.
- Pass certificate/Mark List of qualifying test
- Conduct certificate from the Head of the Institution.
- Age proof.
- Medical Certificate.
- Self-addressed & stamped envelope size.
- Affidavit in the directed composition.
- Above mentioned colleges are certified by the Medical Council of India (MCI) and are also registered in the World Directory of Medical Schools.
- English is a dominant language in Mauritius accompanying by many Indian local languages. Several Indians reside in Mauritius which makes it more manageable and less uncomfortable for some of the Indian students in Mauritius.
- The mixed teaching staff of Indian and Mauritian teachers.
- The expense of living is less related to other big countries like America, South Africa, or Australia.
- Encircled by lakes and lagoons with dense green pastures.
- The atmosphere is pleasant with moderate levels of pollution.
- The departing percentage of students is quite high and most of them favor coming back to India for works.
- No donation is needed
- Food and language are very comparable to that in India
- Mauritius culture is similar to that of India then it would be a futile attempt if one wishes to escape the culture of India.
- Fees of both the college are around 40 lakhs and for a hostel, it may range around 10-15 lakhs.
- The weather in India is similar to that of Mauritius.
- The island is small and ancient which still can be irritating for some students.
- The community is only 12.7 lakh (2018 estimate). This suggests more limited patient inflow.
- The restricted number of seats.
MBBS in Mauritius Syllabus
Following is the MBBS course structure and syllabus at Mauritius –
Pre-Clinical (2 semesters)
Paraclinical (3 semesters)
Clinical (5 semesters)
Obstetrics and Gynaecology
Value of Mauritius MBBS Degree
The MBBS degree from Mauritius is recognized by –
WHO – World Health Organization
MCI – Medical Council of India
ECFMG – Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates
IMED – International Medical Education Directory
FAIMER – Foundation for Advancement of International Medical Education and Research
TEC – Tertiary Education Commission Mauritius
USMLE – United States Medical Licensing Examination
LMCC – Licentiate of the Medical College of Canada
MBBS in Mauritius Fees
SSR Medical College Fees
|SSR Medical college fees||Per year (USD)||For 5 years (USD)|
|Registration fees [One time]||6000||–|
|Registration fees for hostel [One time]||2000||–|
Anna Medical College
|Anna Medical college||Per year(MUR)||For 5 years(MUR)|
FMGE Passing Percentage
|Anna medical college||62||41||66.13%|
|SSR medical college||92||40||43.48%|