GRE is Graduate Record Examination. GRE is a standardized test that is conducted by the Education Testing Service (ETS). Most of the top graduate level schools for Master’s Degree programs accept the GRE scores. There are no fixed GRE exam dates when the student can take the exam; it is completely up to the student when they wish to take the test. But, the student must keep in mind that the period from August to December is the time when most of the students appear for the exam. During this time period it is difficult to get the center of their choice, if they haven’t booked the appointment in advance. The constraint on taking the test is that the applicant can take it once every 21 days up to five times in a continuous rolling 12 month period.
The GRE has three sections- Analytical Writing, Verbal Reasoning and, Quantitative Reasoning.
The GRE Test Pattern has three sections- Analytical Writing, Verbal Reasoning and Quantitative Reasoning. The total duration of the GRE 2018 is 3 hours 40 minutes. Besides the main academic sections, there are two other variable sections and a 10-minute break is given after the third (Quantitative Reasoning) section during the GRE Test 2018.
The two variable sections are Un-scored and the Research section, which do not count toward the actual GRE 2018 score. The GRE test pattern 2018 includes six GRE subject tests. They are Biology, Chemistry, and Literature in English, Mathematics, Physics and Psychology. Each subject has a different test pattern. The GRE 2018 Subject Tests are offered in the paper-based format. Candidates can take the test worldwide three times in a year in September, October and April. The GRE 2018 Subject test is 2 hours and 50 minutes duration.
- Analytical Writing- It has two sections, two tasks to be completed in 60 minutes.
- Verbal Reasoning- It has 2 sections, 50 questions to be completed in 70 minutes.
- Quantitative Reasoning- 2 sections, 50 questions to be completed in 80 minutes.
- Analytical Writing- It has 1 section, 2 tasks to be completed in 60 minute.
- Verbal Reasoning- It has 2 section, 40 questions to be completed in 60 minute
- Quantitative Reasoning- It has 1 section, 40 questions to be completed in 70 minute
- Un-scored- The questions and time varies.
- Research- The questions and time varies.
FAQs about GRE
Q1. How much does GRE cost?
A1. The GRE costs about Rs 15,000.
Q2. How to register for GRE?
A2. The students can register for GMAT through mail, phone or online. The most preferred way to register is through online. For online registration the steps are as follows:
- Create an account on www.ets.org/gre.
- Begin the registration process by scheduling a GRE exam
- Complete your personal profile
- Fill in (or skip) the additional details
- Verify your profile (making sure all the information is accurate)
- Choose a test center and pick a date.
- Finally, log out.
Q3. Can a student reschedule GRE?
A3. Yes, the student can reschedule the exam, if they wish to. But, an additional fees of Rs 3000.
Q4. What is the eligibility for GRE?
A4. There are no set eligibility criteria for the GRE exam. But, since GMAT is usually helpful in applying for masters or post graduate degree, therefore the candidates are usually required to at least have an undergraduate degree. Besides this, different B-schools have different criteria set for admission.
You might like following as well.