The University of Queensland (UQ) is a public research university primarily located in Queensland’s capital city, Brisbane, Australia. UQ is considered to be one of Australia’s leading universities, and is ranked as the 48th most reputable university in the world. Founded in 1909 by the state parliament, UQ is Australia’s fifth oldest university and is colloquially known as a sandstone university. The University of Queensland is a founding member of online higher education consortium edX, Australia’s research-intensive Group of Eight, and the global Universitas 21 network. UQ incorporates over one hundred research institutes and centres, such as the Boeing Research and Technology Australia Centre, the Australian Institute for Bioengineering and Nanotechnology and the UQ Dow Centre. UQ is consistently ranked first for business administration, mining engineering and life sciences in Australia.UQ notable alumni and staff include two Nobel laureates (Peter C. Doherty and John Harsanyi), the first female Governor-General of Australia Dame Quentin Bryce, President of the University of California San Francisco Sam Hawgood, Oscar and Emmy awards winner Geoffrey Rush, triple Grammy Award winner Tim Munro, former Chief Justices of Australia, and the CEO of Dow Chemical Andrew N. Liveris.
The university offers Undergraduate and Postgraduate courses in the field of Accounting, Finance and Economics, Agribusiness, Agricultural Science, Architectural Design, Arts, Biomedical Science, Commerce, Communication, Computer Science, Dental Science, Economics, Education, Engineering, Environmental Science, Equine Science, Excercise and Nutrition Science, Health Sciences, Information Technology, International Hotel and Tourism Management, International Studies, Journalism, Laws, Languages, Mathematics, Midwifery, Music, Nursing, Oral Health, Pharmacy, Physiotherapy, Politics, Science, Social Science, Social work, Veterinary Technology and Wildlife Science.
It also includes Professional Doctorate Programs in field Biotechnology and Veterinary Clinical Science and Higher Degree by Research in the field Philosophy.
- World Ranking
- World Rankings Overview: University of Queensland is the number 4 ranked Australian university overall on the world university ranking systems
- QS World Rankings: UQ is ranked at number =47 on the Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) world ranking system which is number 4 in Australia.
- THE Times World Rankings: UQ is ranked at number 65 on the Times Higher Education world university ranking system which is number 4 in Australia.
- Academic Rankings World Universities (ARWU) Rankings: UQ is ranked at number 55 on the ARWU world university ranking system which is number 2 in Australia.
- US News Rankings: UQ is ranked at number 45 on the US News world university ranking system which is number 3 in Australia.
- CWUR Center for World University Rankings: UQ is ranked at number 94 on the CWUR Center for World University Rankings system which is number 3 in Australia.
- Times Asia/Pacific Rankings: UQ is ranked at number 10 on the Times Asia/Pacific ranking system which is number 3 in Australia.
- QS Graduate Employability Rankings: UQ is ranked at number 49 on the QS Graduate Employability ranking system which is number 4 in Australia.
- Australian Rankings
- Excellence in Research Australia (ERA) Ranking: UQ is ranked at number 3= on the domestic ERA ranking system (2012)
- AEN 5 Star Ranking: UQ is rated a 5 Star university on the overall AEN 5 Star Ranking System.
The University of Queensland maintains a number of campuses and facilities throughout Queensland.
- St Lucia Campus : Just seven kilometres from Brisbane’s city centre, UQ St Lucia campus is considered one of the most beautiful university campuses in the world.Bounded by the Brisbane River on three sides, the 114-hectare site provides a perfect study, research, and living environment.
- Gatton Campus: Heritage-listed Gatton campus is home to one of the oldest and largest agricultural colleges in Australia. Located near the town of Gatton, 87-kilometres west of Brisbane’s city centre, our rural campus offers a laid-back and friendly lifestyle as well as cutting-edge teaching and research facilities in agriculture, animal, plant and veterinary science.
- Herston Campus: Just three kilometres from the Brisbane city centre, UQ Herston is our specialist campus for health and medical teaching and research.
For more information contact your nearest Global Knowledge Works Branch