MBBS in Assam

The Medical Council of India (MCI) is a government authority that is accountable for improving the quality of medical education and services provided across the country. The responsibility of the MCI is to approve and recognize medical institutes, grant practice licenses to fresh medical graduates, improve medical assistance across the country. Colleges that have the recognition by the MCI are considered in high regard as compared to the UGC recognized. In India, there are a total of 511 medical colleges. The Medical Council of India (MCI) has recognized 420 colleges while the other 95 colleges are accredited by UGC. The number of colleges is made up of 250 government colleges and 261 private medical colleges. In Assam, there are a total of 6 colleges that offer MBBS courses. All these colleges are under the administration of the government. Let us learn in-depth about the eligibility criteria, domicile rule of the state, documents required for the process of verification.

 

List of government colleges in Assam

Colleges No. of Seats
Assam Medical College, Dibrugarh 200
Fakhruddin Ali Ahmed Medical College and Hospital, Barpeta 125
Guahati Medical College, Guwahati 200
Jorhat Medical College, Jorhat 125
Silchar Medical College and Hospital, Silchar 125
Tezpur Medical College and Hospital, Tezpur 125

 

 

Eligibility criteria- 

  • Age limit- Minimum age of the candidate should be at least 17-years.
  • Maximum age limit- The age of the candidate should not be more than 25-years. Some exemptions are made to this method for the category students.
  • Mandatory subjects- Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and English should be the mandatory subjects.
  • Minimum marks- Candidates should score more than 50% in the above-said subjects.
  • Domicile rule- The candidate should be an inhabitant of Odisha to satisfy the domicile rules created by the government.

 

 

Domicile rule

What is a domicile rule?

Let us learn more about the domicile certificate. The domicile certificate is a testimony of a person’s permanent residence in a certain region. One can obtain the certificate from the local administration especially the Tehsildar or the revenue department. Every state practices a different set of rules for the domicile certificate. Some states grant the certificate only if an individual is a permanent resident of the state. Nonetheless, some states issue the certificates, after a person has lived in the state for a certain time. In Assam, the certificate is issued to a person who is a permanent resident of the state or who has been living in the state for more than 20-years. The certificate can be obtained from the Assam Taluk Office or Revenue Department. A period of 10-15 days is required for processing the documents and issuing the certificate. The claimant is obliged to pay some value as a part of the processing expense. Some documents that may be needed during the certificate processing as a proof of person’s residence include Adhar/Pan cards, passport photos, address proofs (such as service bills), etc. For the online demand of the certificate, people can get help from the official website. This rule is applicable for 85% of the seats. While the rest of the 15% of seats are reserved for the non-native students of Assam.

 

The Directorate of Medical Education (DME), Guwahati, Government of Assam is the accountable authority for directing the counseling process of NEET-UG in Assam. This board directs the 6 medical colleges of Assam. The counseling is conducted in an offline mode and it is taken in 2 rounds. But for this process of counseling, a qualified candidate needs to fill out a registration form. This form is to fill in online mode and the link for the form will be released on the official website of the committee. After the declaration of the NEET-UG results by the NTA, the board releases a state merit list. Students who wish to take part in the counseling process should fill the online registration form. Certain information regarding the score and rank in the NEET exam will be asked in the registration form. Candidates should download their call letters from the official website of the committee. All the information related to the assigned place and date of the counseling is mentioned in the letter. Students are advised to check for the necessary documents information present on the website of the committee. The documents are asked during the counseling process for verification. Documents that can be asked for verification are mentioned below.

 

  • Printout of application form
  • NEET-UG result
  • NEET-UG Admit Card
  • Class 10 Mark Sheet
  • Class 12 Mark Sheet
  • Caste Certificate
  •  Income Certificate
  •  Domicile Certificate
  • Passport Size Photographs

Following might help you.

Why is MBBS Cheaper in a Few Countries than in India?

MBBS IN MAHARASHTRA