The Institute of Medicine (IOM) was established in 1972 under Tribhuvan University with the mandate and the responsibility of training all the categories of health manpower needed in the country. Within the first decade of its establishment, it developed a total of 12 campuses scattered over the country out of which 3 campuses were in Kathmandu and 9 campuses were outside the Kathmandu Valley.
MBBS at Institute of Medicine
Institute of Medicine is recognized by the Medical Council of India and the World Health Organization. The MBBS course at Institute of Medicine is of five and a half years. The medium of instruction for all foreign students at Institute of Medicine is English. The duration of internship at Institute of Medicine is one year.
Ranking of Institute of Medicine
Tribhuvan University, under which Institute of Medicine was established, has been ranked as follows:
Location of Institute of Medicine
Institute of Medicine is located in Kathmandu. Some of the tourist favorite places in Kathmandu are Thamel (for shopping, nightlife and backpacking), Pashupatinath Temple (a highly revered temple), Swayambhunath and the Kathmandu square. The people of Kathmandu are helpful towards the new entrants in the city.
Admission process for MBBS course in Institute of Medicine
In order to take admission in Institute of Medicine a student must have qualified the NEET exam. The students with a score of at least 50 % marks are eligible to study in Institute of Medicine. The subjects requisite to pursue MBBS at Institute of Medicine are Biology, Physics and Chemistry.
The documents required to take admission in Institute of Medicine are:
1. Health Certificate.
2. Photocopy of valid passport.
3. Passport sized photo.
4. High school academic transcript.
5. High school graduate certificate.
6. English proficiency test certificate.
Salient features about MBBS course at Institute of Medicine
A student has the following advantages of studying at Institute of Medicine:
- The MBBS course is taught in English to all students at Institute of Medicine.
2. Institute of Medicine is recognized by the Medical Council of India.
3. The student need not appear for any language entrance exams (like IELTS/TOEFL/ PTE) to get admission in MBBS in Institute of Medicine.
4. Indian students do no need Visa to study in Institute of Medicine.
5. The library at Institute of Medicine has a good collection of textbooks, reference books and journals to guide the students. Internet, photocopy, binding, and book repairing are available to the students in the library whenever they need any of them.
6. The cost of studying at Institute of Medicine is a lot less than that of Indian private colleges (with almost the same facilities as those provided in good private colleges in India).
7. Institute of Medicine organizes student exchange programs with many countries like- Japan, USA, Sweden, Australia and USA.
8. The people of Nepal have a very friendly relationship with Indian students.
Fee Structure for MBBS program at Institute of Medicine
( Do check the date on file, that is the date of updation of fee. If the date is old than today, pls confirm latest fee with your branch counselor )
We hope you have a great future following your MBBS in Nepal