Everything there is to know about the University of Northern Philippines!
The University of Northern Philippines was established in 1906 as the Vigan High School. Being 106 years old, it the first and oldest state university in Northern Luzon.
It is one of the top rated NMC approved universities in the Philippines. The University of Northern Philippines held the position of the country’s premier state university for two years in a row. The University has the top A+ rated school of medicine, college of business, administration and accountancy, college of arts and science, and college of engineering.
Along with that the university also has college of fine arts, college of technology, college of social work, school of law, college of criminology, college of teacher education, college of medicine and much more.
University of Northern Philippines provides a good environmental location that enriches and enhances the students with its research and training programs.
Given below is the table for quick facts about University of Northern Philippines:
|Intake for MBBS course||July|
|Processing Time for MBBS Admission||45-60 days|
|Eligibility Criteria||50% in PCB|
|NEET Examination||Yes, it is compulsory|
|Annual Tuition Fees (approx)||Rs.2.80 Lakhs/Year|
|Duration of MBBS Course||6 years (with internship)|
|Medium of Teaching||English|
|University Ranking||Country Rank – 124
World Rank – 10942
|University Recognition||NMC, WHO|
Top of Form
Why Study MBBS at University of Northern Philippines?
Below are some of the few reasons of studying at University of Northern Philippines:
- Helps students attain excellence and leadership among Instruction in Medicine and Allied Health Professions responsive to the needs of the dynamic health system.
- For the improvement of the general health and conditions, the university helps to enhance scientific, clerical and community based health researchers along identified local and global concerns.
- Provides students with more than 20 different kinds of educational institutions.
- The medium of instruction is English in the college of medicine.
- The Philippines country has the same weather conditions as India and the disease pattern is also the same and hence, students find it easier to adjust and practise what they have learnt in India as well.
- In the country of the Philippines, University of Northern Philippines Government Medical College holds the Level IV of distinction.
- Certified by the Commission on Higher Education in the Philippines
- The college of medicine has its own affiliated health centres and hospitals.
- Provides a secured campus facility for Indian Students.
- Presence of experienced teaching staff and faculties.
- College of medicine of University of Northern Philippines is recognized by the NMC, WHO, ECFMG, FAIMER.
- The admission process is also simple and easy.
- No donation or capitation fee is required at the time of admission.
University of Northern Philippines: MBBS Fee Structure 2021
The fee structure for University of Northern Philippines for MBBS program is given in the table below:
|Year||Year 1||Year 2||Year 3||Year 4||Year 5||Year 6|
|Tuition Fees in USD (approx.)||5500||4000||3000||3000||3000||3000|
|Tuition Fees in INR (approx.)||Rs. 3,85,000||Rs. 2,80,000||Rs. 2,10,000||Rs. 2,10,000||Rs. 2,10,000||Rs. 2,10,000|
|Hostel Fees in USD (approx.)||1,200||1,200||1,200||1,200||1,200||Rs.4,83,000|
|Hostel Fees in INR (approx.)||Rs. 84,000||Rs. 84,000||Rs. 84,000||Rs. 84,000||Rs. 84,000||Rs. 84,000|
|Total Fees in INR (approx.)||Rs. 4.69 Lakhs||Rs. 3.64 Lakhs||Rs. 2.94 Lakhs||Rs. 2.94 Lakhs||Rs. 2.94 Lakhs||Rs. 2.94 Lakhs|
Here please note that 1$ = Rs.70
- One-time expenses (Registration charges), food charges, etc. can be extra up to Rs.70,000/- (or more approximately).
- The above mentioned fees are approximate, and may vary as per the change in currency.
Following is the eligibility criteria for MBBS at University of Northern Philippine’s college of medicine:
- An MBBS aspirant must have obtained a minimum aggregate of 50% marks in Physics, Chemistry, and Biology.
- The student must have passed all subjects in his/her 12th standard and English is a compulsory subject.
- Students are not required to give any kind of entrance exams such as IELTS/TOEFL/GMAT,etc. for admission.
- The minimum age of the applicants must be 17 years and the maximum age must be 25 years.
Following is the admission process for applying to MBBS course at University of Northern Philippines:
Step 1: Fill in the application form accurately.
Step 2: Attach the documents given below:
- Scanned copy of marks sheet of completion of higher secondary education / tertiary education
- Results of NEET (Score card)
- Scanned copy of your Passport
Step 3: After fulfilling all the conditions and upon acceptance students will be provided with a provisional admission letter upon request. This will be in the electronic format.
Step 4: As soon as your visa invitation will be ready, the university will mail you your visa invitation.
Step 5: Stamp your visa in the Embassy, once you receive the visa invitation.
Following documents are required at the time of admission:
- 10th Marksheet & Certificate
- 12th Marksheet & Certificate
- Date of Birth Certificate
- Application form
- NEET mark sheet
- Official Invitation letter from the University
- Original Passport (Having minimum 18 months validity)
- No Criminal Certificate
- Statement of Purpose
- Health and Medical Certificate (including Quarantine report)
- Passport size Photographs – 6
- Language Proficiency Certificate
University of Northern Philippines – MBBS Duration
The duration of MBBS course at University of Northern Philippines is 6 years which includes 1 year of internship. The course is divided into BS, MD and internship. BS can take 1.5 to 2 years. MD is nothing but MBBS. Students can start with MD which takes 4 years after completing BS.
University of Northern Philippines – MBBS Syllabus
The complete syllabus for studying MBBS at University of Northern Philippines is as follows:
|Syllabus For Pre-Medical|
|First Term||Second Term||Third Term||Fourth Term|
|-Calculus & Analytical
-Comparative Vertebrate Anatomy
-Fundamentals Of Genetics
-Philosophy Of Man
-Education For Sustainable
-Cell And Molecular Biology
-Politics And Governance
|-Rizal’s Life, Works, And Writings
-Econ. / Taxation & Agrarian Reform
-Histology & Micro-technique
-Research In Bio. Sc. (Thesis Writing)
|MBBS (MD) Syllabus|
|First Year||Second Year||Third Year||Fourth Year|
-History Of Medicine
-Preventive And Communicative -Medicine
-General And -Clinical Pathology
-Obstetrics And Gynecology
-Obstetrics and Gynecology
University of Northern Philippines – Ranking 2021
According to 4icu.org, following is the country and world ranking for University of Northern Philippines:
Medium of Teaching
The medium of instruction at University of Northern Philippines is English. For easy understanding by all local as well as international students, all the lectures are delivered in the English language.
Important Dates – Intake 2021
Check out the Important dates regarding admission at University of Northern Philippines:
|Application Start Date||February|
|Invitation Letter||Within 2 weeks from application|
|Last Date of Admission Form||July|
University of Northern Philippines offers several scholarships to deserving students based on the following criteria:
- Students with exceptionally high average grade scores, or with other notable accomplishments in art, science, or sports may receive additional points.
- Students with disabilities can get scholarships.
- Based on the financial background of students – Based on service provided for libraries, labs, etc.
Accreditation and Recognition
University of Northern Philippines is recognized and accredited by many important medical bodies in the field of medical education such as:
- World Health Organization
- National Medical Commission
- Commission of Higher Education, (CHED), Philippines
- Listed in International Medical Education Directory (IMED)
- Education Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG)
- Indonesian Medical Council (IMC)
- Nepal Medical Council(NMC)
- Bangladesh Medical & Dental Council(BMDC)
- Maldives Medical Council (MMC)
- Pakistan Medical & Dental Council(PMDC)
- Medical Council of Thailand
Hostel & Accommodation
- The University of Northern Philippines provides its students, both male and female, with sufficiently comfortable housing facilities.
- These dormitories are equipped with bathrooms, kitchen and laundry areas, athletic oval and gymnasium, computer centres, laboratory facilities with simulations, audio-visual materials and models for research and experimentation, and much more.
- To ensure student’s security, both the boys & girls hostels have 24×7 surveillance CCTV facility.
Following are some of the ways in which students gain from and enjoy being a part of the University of Northern Philippines:
- University of Northern Philippines provides NMC, USMLE, and PLAB classes for PG examination to the students.
- Universities offer accommodation facilities to college students with world- magnificent infrastructure and complete services that a student needs.
- No entrance test for admission, all required is minimum physics, chemistry, biology percentage to be 50%.
- The university provides food facilities, library, sports, recreational, and a playground facilities.
- The University of Northern Philippines college of medicine provides facilities such as a huge library, classrooms, seminar halls, computers, laboratory, auditorium cum museum, hostel, sports, transport and so on.
- ATM facilities are also available near campus.
- The college campus has a restaurant which provides healthy food at a very reasonable price to students.
- Students can do their medical clerkship during the final year of their MD program at the affiliated hospitals of the university.
- Students have the advantage of student exchange programs and also celebrate various festivals, and cultural events at the university.
Cost of Living at Vigan City
The cost of living at Vigan city is as follows:
|Things of daily need (Milk, Groceries, Bread, etc.)||Ranges in between Rs.36 – Rs.1100|
|Eating at a mid-range restaurant (for 2 people)||Rs.1000 – Rs.1100|
|One way ticket of any local transport||Rs. 24|
|A monthly pass for local transport||Rs. 794|
|Monthly rent for a 1 bedroom apartment||costs between Rs.13,000 – Rs.25,000|
About Vigan City
Some interesting facts about Vigan City are as follows:
- Vigan city, established in the 16th century, is the most intact example in Asia of a planned Spanish colonial town. Thus, it is listed as UNESCO’s world heritage site.
- The architecture of the city reflects the coming together of cultural elements from the Philippines and from China with those of Europe and Mexico to create a unique culture and townscape without parallels anywhere in East and South-East Asia.
- Vigan city is located at the river delta of Abra River, along the northwestern coastline of the main island of Luzon, in the Province of Ilocos Sur, Philippine Archipelago. The total area of the inscribed property is 17.25 hectares.
- Public transportation used in the city is Tricycles, Jeepneys, and Kalesa (that is Horse-drawn carriages).
- Languages used in the Vigan city are Ilocano, Tagalog, and English.
- The city is known for its Old Spanish houses, and the delicious food Vigan Longganisa, and Empanada.
- The Vigan city lies 15m above sea level.
- The Vigan city has a tropical climate.
- Winter has much less rainfall than in summer.
- The average annual temperature in Vigan city is 27.0 °C.