Coronavirus: IRCC updates for international students


The immigration of students during coronavirus pandemic has been given special focus by the Canadian government. Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) remain its commitment to serve international students and other temporary and permanent residents.Seeing the current situation Canada has introduced some travel restrictions and temporary changes to immigration policy.


It’s a great step taken by Canada to stop the spread of novel coronavirus.

A detailed summary was compiled by the Canadian Bureau for International Education, Universities Canada, and Colleges and Institutes Canada which deals with the immigration of international students during the COVID pandemic. Some key points of the summary are mentioned below.

  1. Will I be given an extension if my study or work permits expire during the pandemic? I am currently unable to obtain a new passport or access any documents.

To trigger implied status international students in Canada should apply online to renew their permit. This would help them to continue studying or working in Canada.

If you are unable to access any required documents then add an explanatory letter detailing the problem. In case of an incomplete application, the applicant will be given 90 days to submit the missing.



  1. Will it take longer for a study permit to process due to disrupted service caused by corona crises?


Yes, there will be some processing delays but IRCC will still process the applications.



  1. Will I be needing a new letter of acceptance if my May acceptance deferred to September?


you must begin your studies within 150 days from the date of deferral, or the following semester, whichever comes first but if you are not in Canada then you will have to change your status (for example, to a visitor status), or leave Canada.



4.will my future Post Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) eligibility be affected if I start my online course in summer 2020? 


If you complete 50% of your program via online classes you will have no time deducted from the length of future post-graduation program up to December 31, 2020, so you will remain eligible for the PGWP.



5.will I be eligible to start online studies from abroad if I don’t have a study permit?


You don’t need a study permit to start online studies from abroad but for your future PGWP eligibility, you will need to have a study permit or at least its approval.



  1. Do future PGWP eligibility requires to be a full-time student?


Yes, you need to be a full-time student to be eligible for future PGWP but in case your  Designated Learning Institution (DLI) is unable to provide full-time study you will be eligible.



  1. Will I be permitted to come to Canada if I have implied status for my PGWP I also have a job offer letter.


If your study permit is valid you will be permitted but if its no longer valid travel restrictions will be imposed on you. you will need to have a Letter Of Introduction to be exempted from it.

Once you are approved for the PGWP you will get the Letter Of Introduction from IRCC.



  1. My courses moved online and account for more than 50 % of my overall studies. Will this create an impact to my PGWP eligibility.


You will be eligible for PGWP. The above situation won’t create any hindrance if you are already in Canada.



  1. will the time spend on studying online from abroad without an approved study permit be counted to my future PGWP application?


No, this time will not be counted in your future PGWP eligibility.



  1. 1 I’m eligible to apply for PGWP or Permanent Residence (PR) if I am an international student and have access to Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB).


Yes, you will be eligible for PGWP or PR if you have accessed the  Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB).

  1. will I be allowed to come to Canada if my son, daughter, or dependent is a minor and have a valid study permit?

Yes, you will be allowed to come to Canada as you are an immediate family member to one having the permit. However, don’t forget to collect authorization from IRCC before boarding to Canada.

  1. Will I be able to work full time if my semester is suspended?

No, you would be allowed to work for the same number of authorized hours as a suspended semester is not considered a scheduled break.

For more information, You can contact us at or call 9643362320 to Schedule an appointment or Contact your nearest branch now

Following might help you as well.