WHAT ARE THE TYPES OF LOR THAT YOU NEED FOR STUDYING?
Every applicant faces the confusion regarding the type of letter of recommendation. The given article will help you to know about the different type of LOR’s. You must know that what should be included in LOR and what not?
Every university all around the world seeks for letter of recommendation for the admission. So, students applying for the admission have to include LOR to their profile. There is different type for LOR for different courses and fields.
THERE ARE 2 TYPEE LOR DEPENDING ON WHAT YOU HAVE DONE OR BEEN DOING SO FAR IN YOUR CAREER
A student who wish to get admission to any institute abroad will always look for an academic LOR. A student applying for an undergraduate course from abroad will look for LOR from a school teacher. A student applying for a postgraduate course from abroad will look for LOR from college professor. It is to be noted that some institutions also ask for 2-3 LOR’s. In such cases you can get a LOR from the people with whom you have participated in any project and he/ she may give good recommendations about you.
Professional LOR is usually obtained by the people who have some experience of work. We can take example of a person who have worked in small company to gain some work experience before applying for MBA from a foreign university. In such case, the person can go to his or her employer for LOR. In such cases, obtaining LOR from your college and school is not that useful in your admission.
Both professional LOR and academic LOR contain different content. On one side the academic LOR give details about your achievements towards the degree that you have obtained. However, the professional LOR gives details about the person in a profession. It gives description about your personality as a employee in an organisation and your leadership and management skills which makes you better than others.
RULES TO FOLLOW FOR DIFFERENT TYPES OF LOR:
- ENGINEERING STUDIES:
A LOR of an engineering student should cover the following points:
- How good are you at communicating with others?
- Participation in any project
- Experience through an internship
- Knowledge in your subject
- MANAGEMENT STUDIES:
It mainly includes students of MBA course. So, the LOR of such student must have given points:
- Management skills and team leadership
- Your letter should highlight your area of specialisation and your achievements in that field.
- Experience gains through job
- ARTS AND HUMANITIES STUDIES:
The LOR of the student of arts and humanities must have following points:
- Creativity of the student
- Your areas of specialisation
- Communication skills.
SOME KEY POINTS TO BE INCLUDED IN AN LOR
- Every individual who is applying for admission with a LOR should ensure that his or her LOR must have all the details required. Always go through the letter. Correct any type of error and mistake rather than regretting later!
- Since you may need LOR from more than 2 people. So, in such cases you can also include people with whom who have shared any project and can give their opinions about you through a LOR. These people may be a co-worker, manager etc.
- Always abide by the word limit provided by the institution. Generally, a LOR is of 400-500 words. Just ensure that LOR is not very lengthy as the reader of your LOR already have thousands of LOR to read.
- Highlight any type of special achievement in your LOR.
- Give enough time to your recommender to write the LOR. There should be no grammatical mistakes as these errors can give bad impression to institutions.
STRUCTURE OF AN IDEAL LOR
- Mention salutation, date and city location.
- Always introduce your referee in the letter
- Brief description about your achievements, test scores, hobbies etc. The LOR should also have information about your achievements at work place.
- It is to be noted that LOR is not similar to resume or SOP so, it should be different from others.